Movie Review: Prometheus (2012)

My Big Fat Film Review

Back To Basics

I'm not the biggest fan of gory horror films, but I do love sci-fi and a good scare.  The original Alien films had plenty of both without needing the over-top-gore-gross-out like Alien Resurrection (1997).  I feel Prometheus, being a prequel of the Alien series, goes back to that original formula.  I really enjoyed it and found it embodied that classic feel and also stayed loyal to female hero.  It also brought more sci-fi to the table than any of the other films which is a plus.  Prometheus gave a lot of answers to the series and revealed a lot of what was unknown or unexplored in the original trilogy.  I've heard complaints of there being too many unanswered questions, but in reality the original trilogy didn't try to answer anything at all.  I think it's naive to want everything answered in one film and clearly the movie is setting up for a sequel.  Which has already been named Paradise.  The acting is superb in the film and the special effects are top notch.  The settings are wonderfully done and the atmosphere pulls off that gloomy-humans-shouldn't-be-here feel that we know so well.  I ended up seeing the movie in 3D, which I never do, and was pleasantly surprised at how well it was used unlike most movies that try and cram 3D into every second.  Little things like using 3D for the helmet HUDs when in point of view shots were really nice and very subtle.  In the end I have to say this is one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in years, probably since The Fifth Element (1997). It's a great film for anyone, but especially a treat for those who like sci-fi.