Pickled Sausage Recipe


My Big Fat Stomach












Mmmm Pickled Meats


Okay I'll admit that picture above is not appetizing, but if you like pickled meats you'll look past that. What I'm talking about is Big Mamas, Tijuana Mamas, Fire Cracker Red Hots, etc. Oh yeah that's the stuff, with the spicy pickled taste of meat you love. Basically it's a pickled hot dog with a lot of hot sauce on it. So I had a hankering and decided to make my own batch. I patched together a few recipes and this is what I came up with.
  • 3 c. white vinegar
  • 1 c. water
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. pickling spice
  • 6 bay leaves
  • 1/2 cup of pickle juice if you have it on hand
  • Dried (or 2 tsp. grated) red peppers or a bunch of hot sauce, the more the hotter
  • 2 Package of hot dogs or sausages
Cut the hot dogs in half or quarters length wise and set aside. Boil everything but the hot dogs. Again NOT the hot dogs. You will need an empty jar or jars with lids (I used two old 24oz pickle jars). Put the dogs or sausages in the jar and once the liquid has reached boiling simply pour it into the jar and put the lid on tight. Let it sit over night on the counter and then in the morning put it in the fridge for two days or more (the longer they sit the better). Enjoy. If they are not spicy enough you can throw some more hot sauce in there and let it sit a day longer. For my own taste I would say 2 Tbsp of red pepper flakes and 1 Tbsp of habanero sauce. If you don't have pickling spices you can make your own with the recipe below. I cut it in half and I was missing the all spice and cassia bark (what is that anyhow), but it still turned out good. Take what you do have and grind it up well to make a pickling spice.
If you are lazy you can just buy some from the links below.