Review & Specs: HP Pavillion dv2000t Notebook

Big Fat Tech Review

Mini Mighty

I recently got a chance to work on one these Notebooks for someone who needed some upgrades and an OS reinstall.  At first I wasn't impressed, but Vista has a way of sucking the life out of the best computers.  After I removed the offending OS and installed Windows 7 I was able to get a real feel for this notebook.  I was impressed by the boot up speed and overall quickness of programs with 7 installed.  I typically will have three or four programs open at a time while I'm working and this little notebook had no trouble keeping up while I installed a program, downloaded a file, browsed Firefox and ran Spybot's Immunization program all at once.  A surprising amount of punch out of the T2300E 1.66GHz Dual core.  I also kicked up the Ram to the Max 2GB for this machine, which I strongly recommend.  One thing about this notebook is it gets pretty hot on the left side, more than I expected.  I've been shopping around for a netbook and in comparison, for the money, this is an attractive option at $100 used.  Even the newer models like the dv6000 run about $200.  Conclusion:  If your on the market for a small notebook or netbook for work or school, but on a limited budget this is definitely a good option to consider.  You won't be running any high end games on it, but if that's what you want get a desktop.  If you got money to spend then I would strongly recommend the ASUS Eee PC 1215B-PU17.  One final note be forewarned a lot of these dv2000's came installed with Vista and if you're hoping to install XP instead you'll need to know how to slip stream your Windows install disc with the appropriate sata drivers.  The easy solution of course is to go with Windows 7 like I did.

  • Processor: Intel Core Duo (Yonah) T2300E 1.66GHz
  • Screen: 14.1" WXGA BrightView TFT LCD 1280x800
  • GFX Card: Intel GMA 950 (integrated, 128MB shared)
  • RAM: 1024MB DDR2 at 533MHz
  • HD size: Varies
  • Disc drive: Super 8x DVD+/-RW with DL support
  • Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG w/ Bluetooth
  • Communication: Built-in 1.3 MP Webcam with 2 omnidirectional microphones
  • Ports:1 ExpressCard 54/34 Slot, 1 Firewire, 3 USB 2.0, TV-Out (S-video), IR (for remote control), Microphone in, 2 Headphone out (with one also as SPDIF Digital Audio), 1 RJ-45 (ethernet), 1 RJ-11 (modem), 1 Expansion Port 2 Connector, Light-up DC port for power supply