TV/Movie Review: Terry Pratchett's The Color of Magic (2008)


Big Fat TV Review

The Color of Funny

I put off watching this one for awhile thinking it looked kind of corny. I also thought maybe the reviews were skewed by fan boys of Terry Pratchett's writing. I was wrong on both counts. The Color of Magic is only two episodes so it's really a movie in my opinion and it's a really fun movie especially for those who enjoy fantasy adventure style films. Sean Astin plays Twoflower a naive tourist to Ankh-Morpork a city full of wizards, magic, thieves, assassins, betrayal, murder, dark plots, evil schemes and the most powerful, but slightly insane, spell book of all time the Octavo. Bumbling and recently ousted wizard Rincewind (David Jason) unwilling becomes Twoflower's guide and protector. Soon they are on an adventure across the Disc and to the edge of the world running into dragons, druids, warriors, astrozoologists, trolls, Death and everything in between. As powerful forces come into play as well as the possible end of Discworld we find out Rincewind is more important than even he himself could realize. I'll leave it at that so you can enjoy the movie. One last personal note. The Color of Magic really reminded me of the Zork text adventure games or more correctly pre Zork, The Great Underground Empire, when it was alive and bustling with magic and wackiness. I wouldn't say it matched what I imagined 100%, but there is definitely a lot in this movie that has that Zork feel.