Recipe: Miso Soup with Adzuki Beans

Big Fat Recipe

Super Terrific Healthy Miso

I was recently looking for Adzuki Bean tea at my local Asian market.  Unable to find any I decided to just buy some beans and try to make my own.  In my pursuit for a recipe I discovered Adzuki beans are incredibly tasty in Miso Soup.  Adzuki beans are incredibly health and cook much quicker than other beans. I use store bought Miso paste, since it takes for ever to make your own.  So the amount of ingredients for this recipe will vary depending on the paste you use.


Ingrediants:

2.5 cups of Chicken or Vegetable Broth (varies)
2.5 cups of Liquid from Preparing Adzuki Beans (varies)
6 tbsp of Miso Paste (varies)
5oz of Tofu Cubed
1/2 cup (dry) Adzuki Beans
Green Onions or 2 tbsp of Dry Chives

To prepare the Adzuki Beans soak a 1/2 cup of beans overnight in water.  The next day boil the beans in 6 cups of water for 40-60 minutes.  Now prepare Miso soup according to the Miso paste's instructions using a 50/50 mix of  Chicken or Vegetable Broth and the left over water from cooking beans.  Add paste, beans and tofu.  If using chives instead of green onions add them now.  Over medium high heat bring the soup to a boil stirring regularly.  As soon as the soup boils remove from heat.  Now put the soup in a bowl and if using green onions chop them and sprinkle on top of soup.  I prefer the Chicken Broth, I think it adds a little more flavor.  The great thing about the Adzuki beans, beyond their health benefits, is they balance out the saltiness and sourness of the Miso.