Movie Review: Monsters (2010)


Big Fat Film Review

They're Not Just 'Under the Bed' Anymore

From the cover art of Monsters I expected something different than what I got; possibly more along the lines of Evolution (2001). Alas there was no comic element in Monsters, but it's a still a film worth watching. The feel of the movie is more akin to War of the Worlds (2005) with humans fighting a losing battle against a superior alien species. The story is that Andrew Kaulder (Scoot McNairy) a war photographer who is in Mexico to capture shots of the invading aliens and the dead left in their wake. While there he is tasked with the rescue and return of Samantha Wynden (Whitney Able), his bosses daughter. After missing the last boat they make a decision to cross the infected zone in order to get back to the United States which has erected a massive wall to keep the aliens out. The film is less action packed and more character driven than I thought it would be, but that's not a bad thing. The film had some interesting and new ideas and moved along at a nice pace. I'm not sure I really cared for the ending which in my opinion was indecisive, but overall the movie was enjoyable enough that I'd watch it a second time.