Movie Review: SUCK (2009)


My Fat Film Review


Surprisingly Non-Sucky

I often look for slightly sucky movies to watch by myself for the simple fact that if I watch a decent movie I'll end up watching it a second time with my family. So I guess I should've been disappointed when Suck didn't suck at all. Fortunately my son decided to watch with me after hearing me laugh. Vampire movies have been over done in almost every way and genre so it was nice to watch something fresh. The premise is simple for this film. The bassist of a small time band touring through Canada is turned into a vampire one night after a concert. The band mates first unsuspecting eventually get lured over to the dark side and lured in by the fame that being vampires seems to give the band. As they grow in popularity so does their hunger as they begin to lose themselves. The film is has plenty of cameos by famous musicians. Iggy Pop and Alice Copper are most notable and also have the largest roles. What sets the film apart, beyond some famous faces, is the subtle humour of it all. The band and their roadie are sublimely clueless and a bit goofy, not too much so, and are played very well by the actors. Even as the band becomes famous and hip for being "vampires", in reality as vampires they are more bumbling and hapless than ever. All in all it's a pretty funny movie and even those who aren't horror or vampire fans will find this film an amusing romp.