Movie Review: Her Alibi (1989)


Big Fat Film Review

It's Not Shakespeare

I read a bunch of reviews on this film before I watched it. The critics viciously hated, but I don't trust film critics to begin with. Regular movies goers seemed split over it so I decided to give it a try. First off if you like Tom Selleck you'll definitely enjoy this movie. I admit I'm a Selleck fan so I could be biased, but what I found key in this film that I think threw so many is that it really isn't a thriller/comedy. It's more of a comedy/romance and a very light hearted one. Don't go in expecting anything ground breaking and you're bound to have a good time. In the film Tom Selleck plays a writer of bad detective novels who's in a slump. On a whim he decides to alibi Nina (Paulina Proizkova) who has been accused of murder. Once out of prison she uses Tom Selleck as a buffer to avoid being caught by a shady group of men and in turn Tom Selleck uses her as inspiration for his newest book. As Selleck digs deeper trying to discover if she really is a murderer and what she's hiding he begins to fall in love with her. That's all there really is to the movie. There's a dozen or so fairly comedic moments in the film, some of them goofy, some of them original and quite good. In my honest opinion, and trying not to let my man crush on Tom Selleck bias me, I'd say Her Alibi is a 6.3 out of 10. Good for an enjoyable and light film without much depth, but plenty of Selleck.