Movie Review: The American (2010)


My Big Fat Snooze

Please, Please Be Over!!!

That became my one and only resounding thought throughout the film. The picture I've picked for this review, one of George Clooney lying on a bed looking bored to tears, embodies the excitement, action and depth of this film. This has to be the slowest film I've ever seen. It really could have a been a 10 minute short film and accomplished the same thing, nothing. There's very little dialogue from Clooney and out of the other 2.5 characters the priest is the only one who actually says anything interesting and thus relatable in anyway. Everyone else, including Clooney, is just some person we barely know. The acting in the films is good, when there is any, and the premise of the film is okay, if it went somewhere. the only way i can recommend this film is if you're having trouble sleeping and are out of milk. You'll be out in minutes. The big twist in this film is that it sucks after getting you to think, "A-list actor, big budget, assassin. This is going to be good." Oh yeah, and if you want to tell me", "This film is a realistic conception of what it like to be a real hitman." than great you can keep it. I don't watch movies about hitmen to be bored to death by what real life is like for them. I watch them to experience the action, intrigue and excitement of what I imagine being a hitman would be like. Do yourself a favor and watch something else.