Favorite Films: Doomsday (2008)


My Big Fat Favs

Is Too!

...and if you,"Is not!" I'll slap you. I love this film. I really do. I'm not sure why this movie only gets a 6.0 on IMDB. I suppose I could read the negative reviews and find out why, but like a brat you can't stand I'm not going to. Instead I'm gonna tell you why it's so great and you'll listen and like it. First off imagine Mad Max and instead of hate mongering Mel you've got sexy, tough as nails Rhona Mitra in the lead as Eden Sinclair. Mix that with an apocalyptic plague akin to say Resident Evil. Then lastly, just for fun, throw in the medieval Knights and castle. Now you've got an awesome movie. It seems improbable given these three things that it would work, but it does. The gist of the story, set in the British Isles, is that a highly contagious and deadly plague has ravaged the country. When it is finally isolated by quarantining a large part of the country, those inside the quarantined area are left to die, presumably. Years later, in overcrowded cities, as the plague begins to spread the government decides to send Eden with team into the quarantined zone to find a possible cure. Things get complicated as Eden runs into a group of road warrior type cannibal survivors who are war with another group that has abandoned modern ways and returned to living like their medieval ancestors. Crazy right? You betcha ya. The story is well written and the acting superb, but most importantly it's a very creative and imaginative idea done well. I like the a movie that pushes past what's done before and comes up with something new and this movie manages to do that. It's not just another plague movie or post apocalypse movie, it's really its own thing as much as it is a tribute to other movies we love. If you disagree, good for you, I'm not listening. I got my fingers in my ears and I'm going, "blah, blah, blah blah..."