Game Review : Disciples III - At Least It Looks Purdy



Disciples III is a video game…
For those unaware, Disciples is a turn-based strategy series with a unique art style that really makes it stand out. Sadly with the latest installment the art direction isn’t enough to make it a “good” game.

Having both played and thoroughly enjoyed its predecessor. I have been looking forward for the sequel for quite some time. So it breaks my heart to report; Disciples III is a big let down.

Explanation:
Disciples II played like a dumbed down version of Heroes of Might & Magic.
Disciples III added more strategy but in turn just became more like Heroes of Might & Magic.

So is that a bad thing? On the contrary... The added layer of strategy and difficulty while retaining all the things that made it stand out (as in the art style, which I’ve already mentioned) is a great thing.

So what’s the problem you may ask? The entire game is… A GIANT TEASE.

It has all these great features but doesn’t let you have any fun with them.

Examples:
Disciples II:
The story revolved around your character, who you take from mission to mission retaining all your experience, items, and such.
Disciples III:
your character now has a much more in-depth leveling system (much like Final Fantasy 12) and the equipment they get actually changes their in game appearance (very detailed I might add). Two things that are obviously awesome, but… now you can’t take your character to the next mission… SAY WHAT!? You can recreate them in the next mission but… you don’t get to keep anything from the previous one so… what’s the point? Instead now you follow the story of some tool named “Lambert” and only he gets to progress throughout the campaign.

Disciples II:
Has a campaign editor feature which I personally spent countless hours on, having fun making my own adventures.
Disciples III:
Was advertised with a campaign editor, which would have totally saved the game for me. Since now I didn’t have to follow “Lambert” around. I could make my own campaign with my own characters and with all the new improved graphics and game play… what’s not to like? Except there isn’t a campaign editor to be found, so… there goes that idea.

With the absence of any sort of multiplayer my only option was to play the premade campaigns. Which some would argue is the whole point of the game anyway… But not for me, I loved Disciples II for two simple reasons and both were taken away. So why would I play it when Heroes of Might & Magic is just the same thing but better?

I don’t doubt other can have fun with it, but not I… not I…