Sandwich Quest: IKE's Deli - Best Italian Sub in Sacramento Area


My Big Fat Appetite

It's pronounced "I-talian"

Ever on the hunt for a decent sub on the west coast I was lucky enough to stumble across Ike's Deli in Rancho Cordova. Ike's has become my salvation in the form of Italian Subs. Previously I would beg and plead with every westward bound east coast friend to be my sub mule and smuggle as many subs back on their flight out to Cali. Usually in the form of Primo's out of Philly or Leo's from Linglestown, Pa I needed my fix and any price was reasonable. I'd even smuggled a suitcase of subs back myself more than once. TSA gives you some weird looks when you open up your carry on and there are twenty Italian Subs stuffed inside. So you can see that finding a decent sub place made my life a lot easier. Ike's has several types of subs (meatball, roast beef, pastrami, tuna, etc) I have to admit though I've only tried the Italian. So what makes Ike's so special? Good ingredients of course, a strange dinky location crammed in next to a strip club adds some atmosphere and family run, but what's really key, the one thing most sub places on the west coast get wrong, is the bread. Not excited? Well you should be. Ike's bakes their own bread. A fluffy-light warm and soft circle bread they cut in half to make a pocket that is stuffed with delicious meats and veggies. The bread's perfect spongy like texture is essential for the oil and vinegar to be slightly absorbed, but not get soggy in the long run. I rank Ike's Italian subs at number two on my sub list, just behind Leo's and that ain't bad. Ike's has some strange hours and if you go at the wrong time you will stand in line for 30 minutes easily. Ike's is open Mon-Fri from 10am to 2pm and you want to go in early or late. If you go around lunch time the line runs out the door. Subs are $6.45 and they take cash, credit or atm and you can also pre-order (Fax 916.635.5073, Ph. 916.6359808). Ike's also sells their delicious bread for $1.95 if you feel like making your own sub. Ike's is located at 3000 Sunrise Blve, Ste 6 in Rancho Cordova, Ca. Enjoy!