Sandwich Quest: Huong Lan - Vietnamese Subs


My Big Fat Appetite

Top Ten Eats

Ever since I moved to the West Coast I've been in pursuit of subs worthy of my East Coast appetite. Usually my pursuit is for the best I-talian sub in town, but luckily I stumbled across Huong Lan. I'm a sucker for trying anything new or exotic, but even if your tastes are much tamer you'll find a sub to love at Huong Lan's with 15 types to choose from. The main ingredient varies from meatball, chicken, pork, sardine, veggie, and more. Some of it grilled some of it BBQed. The base ingredients in the subs remains consistent with shredded pickled daikon (tastes like onion) and carrots, cilantro, jalapeno peppers and Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce (which you can buy at Shun Fat Market). It's all served in a french style baguette, meaning very crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Most importantly they bake their own bread, a key element to an incredible sub from any culture. All this put together makes one of the best sandwiches in town and all of them are under $3.00. I've tried all the subs and I have to say my personal favorite is the #1 with Ham, Headcheese and Pate, pictured here (sorry I took a bite before I could take the picture). Huong Lan also carries a wide variety of other Vietnamese food like spring rolls and Pho. Huong Lan is located at 6930 65th Street in Sacramento near the Shun Fat Market (one of the best Asian groceries stores in Sacramento) and is open till 9pm every night, tel. 916.429.9999. They also have locations in San Jose, Milpitas and Newark. Oh yeah it's Cash Only.