Review: Audio-Technica AT-PL120 Professional Direct-Drive Turntable

My Big Fat Review












Spin Me Right Round...

I've had a record collection for years, but no record player. So I started look around for one in the $100 or less range, but I wasn't thrilled with anything I found. Most of the low range turntables are belt driven, which is bad since the belts tend to get loose and slip over time. The next step up in turntables, the mid-ranges, were a little more then I wanted spend, around $400. Then I found the Audio-Technica AT-PL120. It's direct-drive, around $200, and can play 78's also. The player has a cast-aluminum record platter, a slip mat, and professional cartridge and headshell. The adjustable, anti-vibration feet keep the platter level. It's a well built record player. Finally it has the option of line-level or phono out, since it has a built in pre-amp in case your receiver doesn't. There were only two problems I had with the turntable. One the locking mechanism for the tone arm is pretty cheap and easy to break. Second the RCA cord is hardwired for some reason, which isn't so awful, but kinda stupid. In combination with my Yamaha RX-V2700 and Monitor Audio GS60's the sound is amazing. I absolutely recommend this turntable for anyone looking for a good record player, but who doesn't want to spend too much.

Technical Details

  • Selectable internal stereo phono preamplifier--choose from phono or line-level output
  • Direct-drive, high-torque motor; includes professional cartridge and headshell
  • Selectable 33-1/3, 45, and 78 rpm speeds; +/-10 percent or +/-20 percent pitch adjust; high-accuracy quartz-controlled pitch lock
  • S-shaped tone arm assembly with adjustable counterweight, antiskate adjustment, tone-arm height adjustment and lock
  • Measures 17.8 x 6 x 13.9 inches (W x H x D)