Movie Review: The Wrestler

My Big Fat Movie Review











Wrestling? Yes, Wrestling!

A great wrestling movie? Yes, I was dubious also, but this is actually one of the best movies of 2009. I am a huge fan of Mickey Rourke, but I am not a fan of wrestling. I was definitely skeptical going in that even Rourke could make this film worth my time. I was wrong to doubt. Rourke plays his role to a T; a washed up wrestler, The Ram, who's closest thing to family is a stripper, played by Marisa Tomei. Even if you care nothing for wrestling, Rourke will manage to draw you into the character's life of desperation. I can't say you'll exactly be rooting for him. The character is extremely flawed and even in trying to redeem himself continues to make more mistakes. Yet, all that makes the viewer identify with him even more. Rourke manages to put across the raw humanness of the Ram's character, the things we can all see in ourselves, the wrong paths we take in life. It takes more than half the movie to get to this point and there is a lot of wrestling in the beginning, but just stick with it. Best of all, this movie has a phenomenal ending. I can't say anything with out ruining it, but you'll be moved for sure, wrestling fan or not. Summation: Have Faith in Rourke and You'll be Rewarded.