Fallout 3


My Big Fat Review











It's Pronounced ˈnü-klē-ər


It's a little past due, but how can The Atomic Cheese Melt not do a review on Fallout 3. That would just be wrong. As with a lot of Fallout fans I was concerned about this just being Oblivion with a post-nuclear theme. Also the loss of the three-quarters view seemed like it would ruin the feel of the game. Fortunately neither of these had a negative effect on the game. Bethesda did an amazing job with the game. Something you rarely see when a game changes from one developer to another. As with any game of this size there were some glitches. I'm not going to go into all of them I'll just say none of them were serious or impeded the game play. Just minor annoyances really. V.A.T.S. is still there for combat as well as the ability to play the game as a FPS. I was somewhat annoyed as a die hard fan of the original series that Bethesda included the FPS in combat, but in the end I actually found it an enhancement to the game. I found myself, now and then, peeling off a shot or two before going into V.A.T.S. Also there are plenty of Perks that encourage you to use V.A.T.S. as opposed to FPS and V.A.T.S. is much more accurate. The FPS really just gives you the slight chance of inflicting a bit of damage before going V.A.T.S. Additionally without the V.A.T.S. you don't get the slow motion view of your kills. You can complete the main mission rather quickly if so desired, but that's not the point of the Fallout series. There's a lot of area to explore and plenty of side missions. I put in over a hundred hours of game play on my first play through. I was a bit bummed about not being able to level up higher than level 20, because by playing all the missions I was at level 20 before I was even half way through the game. The good news is that with the new Down Loadable Content you'll be able to level up to level 30. Not to mention all the new missions and weapons that are coming along with the DLC (unless you have a PS3). I'm very happy about this since I'm half way through my second round with the game. Overall the from the PIP boy and V.A.T.S. to interaction with characters and missions Bethesda did a great job of keeping the Fallout flavor that we all know in love. If your a fan of RPG's, nuclear holocausts or you just want to set off an A-Bomb Fallout 3 is the game.