Game Review: Left 4 Dead (xbox 360)


My Big Fat Review












More Zombies
for Your Dollar


I finally got Left 4 Dead for my birthday and the only thing I wish is that I'd gotten it sooner. I have to say as a Zombie fanatic that this is one of the best Zombie games I've ever played. It's like being a character in a combination of some of the best Zom movies ever made, definitely the game makers goal I would say, and they pulled it off wonderfully. There is a film poster at the beginning of every chapter with your name playing as your chosen character, nice touch. The settings are perfect for maximum tension. Running through the woods in several of the levels reminded me of the beginning of Night of the Living dead. At one point trapped in a house at the end of the second campaign with hordes of zombies coming in the doors and windows is total freak out. I played with my son on the second hardest setting, Advanced, as opposed to Expert. Normally I jump for the hardest play right away, but play was too intense right out the door on expert. So i figured I'd save it for my second play through. Playing on Advanced took about 8 hours to get through the entire game. My one major complaint about Left 4 Dead was the lack of varied weapons, there are six to choose from. Pistol (or dual pistols), shotgun, auto-shotgun, uzi, assault rifle and hunting rifle. You always have your pistols and duals actually work pretty good. You can only carry one other weapon at a time. The hunting rifle, I didn't even bother to try, I really only found one or two places where it could be utilized effectively. It would've been nice if this could be carried a third weapon. There are also mounted chain guns along the way, but they usually leave you open to attack from behind and thus not recommended. It would have been nice if you could have removed these, with limited ammo of course, similar to Halo 3's chain gun setup. I also have one minor complaint and that was the inability to carry only one molotov or one pipe bomb. The good news is new content is coming for the game. With a new weapons and campaigns. So at least one of my complaints will go away. I haven't done a lot of the online play, but it is quite fun. The only major difference between campaign and online is being a Zom sometimes instead of a survivor. That's takes a little adjustment in how you play, of course, and you die much more quickly as a Zom. Overall this has become one of my top three games for the last 12 months.