LG 50" HD Plasma TV - 50PQ30/50PQ20


My Big Fat Review












The Same Difference

My 2 ton 32" boob tube broke so I needed to buy a new TV. So i bought another 30" LCD just like the one I use on my desktop PC. Happily though UPS decided to smash it while delivering it and I had to return it the store. Happily, because while I was there I saw the LG 50pq20. Thank you UPS. Honestly I knew nothing of Plasma TV's, but I was able to get a steal on this because it was a floor model. Also my wife was all for it, and as any husband knows when your wife wants you to buy a bigger TV you don't question her, you just buy it. So I did. Now, I already have an Optoma EP 727 for watching movies and playing 360 games on so I already had HD. So why am I so excited about this TV, Life Expectancy. A projector on Eco-mode may last 3,000-5,000 hours. While the LG Plasma will last 100,000 hours. That saves me from having to buy a new projector every two years, because know I watch a lot of movies on the LG and for games in signal player it's big enough for my tech lust. Okay it's only 720p, but the price is hard to beat, $899 on Amazon. Also I've read several reviews of people who have compared various 1080 screens with this LG 720 and can't see a difference. I have read some complaints about the reflectiveness of the screen, but what I've found is you have two with Plasma screens. One option is High Anti Glare and faded blacks. The other option is Low Anti Glare and solid blacks. LG went with the latter and honestly I haven't noticed a problem, even in the morning when it's bright in the room or with lights on. Also this TV has an auto adjust feature for brightness, that automatically brightness or darkens the picture depending on the light in the room. Overall for price and picture this is one heck of a TV. The TV even has a usb port so you can play jpg pictures and mp3 music files on the TV. Good features and great picture at a low price. Finally 50pq30 or 50pq20? Same difference from what I can tell, except the controls are hidden on the 50pq20 behind the tv, which is kinda cool, but not convenient.

Key Features

  • 720p HD Resolution and Native Resolution 1365x768
  • 600Hz Sub Field Driving
  • Mega Contrast Ratio
  • Invisible Speaker System with SRS TruSurround XT
  • Intelligent Sensor and Smart Energy Saving
  • AV Mode II
  • Clear Voice II
  • SimpLink
  • Smooth Motion Technology
  • Contrast Ratio 2,000,000 : 1
  • 3 HDMI Ports / 1 S-video Input / 2 Composite Inputs /1 Vga Input